Oberon Community Platform Forum
September 23, 2017, 08:37:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 5324 times)
felix
Administrator

« on: January 22, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »

Hi folks
thanks very much to Sven Stauber and Thomas Trachsel for putting this forum and the wiki online. I very much like the idea of sharing knowledge over this platform.
I have launched the WinAos emulation some years ago and have been responsible for it since then.
Fortunately we have merged the Aos and the WinAos distribution about half a year ago. We learned that using a versioning tool helped a lot in bringing things forward together. Now we hope that introducing this forum and making our repository world-wide available will provide a similar boost in our ongoing development.

Please do not hesitate to write your concerns, ideas, problems or reports in this forum and / or edit our wiki.

Best,
Felix
darek

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »

Felix and all,
 first of all, thank you very much for your huge contribution to the community. I have some questions and ideas concerning the xxxAOS systems.
Let's start with questions:
  1.AOS and WinAOS  are under common source control. What about the Linux version of  AOS? Is  it also under the same development strategy?
  2. Are there any plans to port  the AOS kernel to a new architecture such as Cell BE processor (and run it on Playstation 3 Grin) ?
I am not sure, if you are aware of   an operating system called ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html). ReactOs is binary compatible with Windows NT, and XP and it provides  an access to device drivers. This is my crazy idea: What about running your  WinAOS  under ReactOS without  having Windows?

The next idea comes from my involvements in software defined radio activity.  There is a very exiting and cool project on the net called  GNU Radio (http://gnuradio.org/trac), which implement lots of DSP and communication algorithms. It is possible to build your own FM receiver (or transmitter)  using a piece of generic hardware (USRP)  from Ettus Research  (http://www.ettus.com). The USRP device can be connected to a PC using a USB 2.0 port, and ..... you can even watch HDTV programs   on your laptop.
Eric, Matt, and Johnathan did marvellous job  implementing it and it really works !!!!
The whole GNU Radio  software is implemented in:
  C++
  Python
  Swig
  and  more ......
It will be very interesting to start putting together something similar to GNU Radio using Active Oberon and your  new math compiler (and Alan's CAPO numeric libraries).  In this case, everything  will be much simpler and more coherent in terms of software development.   I think, that performance of such a system will be as good as C++ or even better.

I hope you did not fall asleep reading it.

Regards to all “Oberoners”,
  Darek

felix
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:07:59 AM »

Darek,
1.AOS and WinAOS  are under common source control. What about the Linux version of  AOS? Is  it also under the same development strategy?
Guenther Feldmann (who did a great job with porting things to Linux) has his own management.
Guenther, how about also basing your development on our repository (we can give you write access)?

2. Are there any plans to port  the AOS kernel to a new architecture such as Cell BE processor (and run it on Playstation 3 Grin) ?
We have thought about it. It would be an interesting thing to do but we currently do not have the human resources to do it. One obstacle, of course, is the asymetric way of processing on the Cell, which currently is not supported by Aos and Active Oberon. Would also be an interesting research project...

I am not sure, if you are aware of   an operating system called ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html). ReactOs is binary compatible with Windows NT, and XP and it provides  an access to device drivers. This is my crazy idea: What about running your  WinAOS  under ReactOS without  having Windows?
Sounds interesting, again I have to answer with the "human resources" argument. Who volunteers?

It will be very interesting to start putting together something similar to GNU Radio using Active Oberon and your  new math compiler (and Alan's CAPO numeric libraries).  In this case, everything  will be much simpler and more coherent in terms of software development.   I think, that performance of such a system will be as good as C++ or even better.
Cool, sounds good.

Best
Felix

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: