Oberon Community Platform Forum
October 13, 2019, 09:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WMTextStyleTool and WMTextTool  (Read 8946 times)
BohdanT

Life is difficult, but fortunately is short!

« on: January 08, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »

Revision: 1038 Author: staubesv
Use WMTextTool instead of WMTextStyleTool in Menu -> Edit -> Styles. The old text tool is based on the text attribute mechanism. For now, it makes more sense to use this since this prevents the mix-up between text attributes and character styles. In particular, the tool can handle different font sizes much better.

I believe this change has led to more chaos.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the mechanism that uses Styles gives great advantages.
For example, the use of color schemes.
A more orderly processing of source code, etc.

I'm upset ... Perhaps now there is no road back  Cry

staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:38:14 AM »

Perhaps I am wrong, but the mechanism that uses Styles gives great advantages.
You're right, the Styles do give advantages.

Note that the WMTextStyleTool is still available.

The reason why WMTextTool is the default is that all sources are stored in the Oberon text format which does not support styles. When you load such a file and use WMTextStyleTool, this leads to an intermixing of the BBT/Oberon text formats in the internal text representation.

I'm upset ... Perhaps now there is no road back
As mentioned above, the Style mechanism is still available.
BohdanT

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »

Ok.
I then such a question:
Which text format main in A2?
Which text format is the most promising?
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:45:05 AM »

Background:
The reason why modules are currently stored as Oberon text is primarly efficiency and compilation speed. To load a BBT text, the XML parser first creates a DOM-Tree which is then transformed into the internal text representation (Texts.Text).
Since the Oberon text format contains all formatting information in the header, the compiler can simply skip the header and then work with plain text. Also, in general, there is no need to build an intermediate representation (as DOM-Tree) when loading an Oberon text.
I can't remember the exact numbers, but building a release with sources that are stored as Oberon text is MUCH faster than BBT.

Your questions are good but ASAIK, currently not addressed here at ETH.

My opinion: The internal text representation should be generic enough to support different text formats with one single mechanism (currently, there are two: Texts.Piece.attributes and Texts.Piece.pstyle/cstyle). The current problem is that the usage of both mechanism in a single Texts.Text does not work correctly.
With one mechanism supporting both formats (maybe use cstyle to represent attributes), we would not have problems.
If a user wants to store a text in a format that does not support all features used in the text, the user would have to be warned and the unsupported features dropped when storing.

BohdanT

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:47:43 PM »

I can't remember the exact numbers, but building a release with sources that are stored as Oberon text is MUCH faster than BBT.
How Giga-Hertz should have a processor that would not have been the main argument?  Grin

Your questions are good but ASAIK, currently not addressed here at ETH.

This is just talk   Grin
If a user wants to store a text in a format that does not support all features used in the text, the user would have to be warned and the unsupported features dropped when storing.
Sure!
But now when I save, for example, in UTF not warn me that lost unsupported features
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

How Giga-Hertz should have a processor that would not have been the main argument?
This is something I hate about programming: Good designs are often sacrificed for better performance...

Sure! But now when I save, for example, in UTF not warn me that lost unsupported features
There is always a lot of work to do  Grin
BohdanT

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »

This is something I hate about programming: Good designs are often sacrificed for better performance...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
 Wink
There is always a lot of work to do

Grin
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

Ok. The discussion motivated me to have a look at the text representation issue. So far, I removed all Attributes-related stuff from Texts, TextUtilities and WMTextview (but I have not yet rebooted the system...). If I don't encounter major problems, the situation improves quite soon...
BohdanT

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »

Cheesy
cfbsoftware

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
 Wink

... but, unfortunately:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law
 Sad

Chris Burrows
Astrobe v7.0 (Feb 2019): Oberon for ARM Cortex-M3, M4 and M7 Microcontrollers
http://www.astrobe.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: