Oberon Community Platform Forum
November 21, 2019, 05:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluebottle Boot Manager - Booting via USB without BIOS help ?  (Read 6919 times)
Micla

« on: May 09, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

Good morning,

1) I discover A2 and this site and forum with much pleasure.

I'm primarily interested by the Boot Manager mentionned in "http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/BootManager".

Is this boot manager able to boot a machine from an external drive via USB if the Bios of the machine does not permit it ?

2) Is the A2 disk bootable in a virtual machine such as VirtualBox ?

Thank's for your help and for this wonderful innovative project.

Michel.
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »

1) To boot from USB, you need a BIOS with USB support to access USB mass storage devices (the Boot Manager uses BIOS routines for disk access)

2) In principle, A2 can run in virtual machines. It works under VMWare, older versions of QEMU (not in the most recent, as far as I know). I don't know whether it works with VirtualBox - anybody ran it successfully in VirtualBox?
tfrey

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »

With some playing around in the VirtualBox settings (and not loading network drivers) it used to work for me (slow).
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »

Also downloaded and installed VirtualBox. Similar results: Got A2 working but very slow (actually, unusable slow...).
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »

There is a bootmanager named PLoP (http://www.plop.at/de/bootmanager.html), which supports booting USB even if the Bios does not support booting from USB. It should be possible to boot a BlueBottle kernel, which supports  USB from USB with the help of PLoP. I did not (yet) try it with Bluebootle, but I was able to get an old motherboard to read the bootsectors from an USB hard disk and end up in a Windows blue screen (which is not really a surprise, since I did not tweak Windows to boot from USB).
--
  Bernhard
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:20:41 AM by Bernhard T. » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: