Oberon Community Platform Forum
November 21, 2019, 05:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New language from Google: "GO". Includes rant about Oberon.  (Read 7623 times)
soren renner
Global Moderator

« on: December 20, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2009/11/googles_new_language_go.php

comment #26:
You know, all this hoopla over "Go" and how wonderful it is and yadda yadda yadda was being pushed by the ETH Oberon group and all Oberon users back in the late 90s. With few exceptions, certainly none large enough to fundamentally change the language for, Go does _NOTHING_ different than Oberon-2.

Why can't people just use Oberon and move on with life? I'll tell you why -- because it was designed by Niklaus Wirth. People HATE Wirth. He's the anti-Christ. He's an abomination. Nobody loves him, and neither should you. He's communist, fascist, and a capitalist pig all at the same time. And, get this folks!, he writes his languages using all-caps keywords! OH NOES!!

Except, of course, the folks who want to cash in on Wirth's ideas while retaining C/C++'s basic, ugly, highly error-prone, and utterly retarded syntax. I have no respect what-so-ever for Pike and Thompson here -- they're just plagiarizers and have actually made the language WORSE. And, unbelievably hard to read and maintain in comparison.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

I am so sick and tired of this uber-opportunist and politicized bull$#!+ in the comp-sci/comp-eng fields. If it's one thing that pisses me off more than any other is when awesome technology comes out, gets trash-talked fifteen ways 'til Monday, then some jackass who lists "Bell Labs" on his resume comes out with the EXACT SAME LANGUAGE but with a different syntax and a handful of bells and whistles (which EASILY could have been retrofitted into Oberon-2 had anyone game a damn about it), and he somehow gets all cuddly kudos and awesome street-cred for it.

BULL$#!+.

Posted by: Sam
soren renner
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:17 PM »

http://www.math.bas.bg/~bantchev/misc/on-go.html

And finally, the language Oberon and N. Wirth should have been acknowledged by Go's authors much more explicitly than with the single phrase
sage

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

Yep, another piece of BULL$#!+  Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: