Oberon Community Platform Forum
October 16, 2019, 03:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VMware Fusion Installation  (Read 5010 times)
Sitti

« on: April 19, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »

All,
I have problem installing A2 (v2958) onto my VMware Fusion (3.0.2). The installation image is A2CD.zip image. The screen went dark after "OBERON loading" is displayed on the screen. Using the scrolllock key gets me the following list:

TracePort=1
TraceBPS=19200
TraceMem=0B8000H;2;80;25
BootVol1=RAM RamFS 8000 4096
BootVol2=CD AosFS #0;R
RamFS=RAMVolumes.New DiskFS.NewFS
AosFS=DiskVolumes.New DiskFS.NewFS
Boot1=Keyboard.Install;MousePS2.Install
Boor2=DriverDatabase.Enable;UsbHubDriver.Install;UsbEhci.Install;UsbUhci.Install;UsbOhci.Install
Boot3=WindowManager.Install
Boot4=Loopback.Install;Ethernet3Com90x.Install;RTL8139.Install;Intel8255x.Install.AM79C970.Install
Boot5=Autostart.Run
Boot6=InitNetwork.Init
Boot=DisplayLinear.Install
Init=117
CacheSize=1000
AutoNetConfig=1
ATAPIForcePIO=1
DWidth=1024
DHeight=768
DDepth=0016

OBL3>

If I just continue at this point, the screen will just go dark. Is there anything I could do? Thanks
Sitti

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:13:10 AM »

I found more info under "Black Screen" tread. From there, I changed my VM setting to Windows95 and continue testing with the following setting:
TraceModules=1
TraceMode=1
Init=

I got a lot of logs on screen. The tail end of the log looks like these:
OpenType 0.45 BBPort /3.12.2004  eos, pl
<OpenType
?OpenTypeFonts
<OpenTypeFonts
?WMOTFonts
<WMOTFonts
>WMCCGFonts
?WMCCGFonts
<WMCCGFonts
>WMBitmapFont
?WMBitmapFont
<WMBitmapFont
>WMOberonFonts
?WMOberonFonts
<WMOberonFonts
<WMFontManager
?WindowManager

I also tried to send the log out to serial port and have VMware capture it into a file. Unfortunately the log file is empty.

Any suggestion?
Sitti

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:36 AM »

Fortunately, my problem is resolved. I found a VMware package I can use and everything just works after I downloaded.

Please note that the image found at the following link is not usable:

http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/A2VM.zip

The one I can use is VMWareAos20080724_rev1415 which I found after clicking around.
-Sitti
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »

Dear Sitti,

Thanks for reporting the problem with A2VM.zip. The file has been replaced by a working A2 system (without Oberon, revision 3080), so if you want a more recent revision, you can download it at http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/A2VM.zip

Note that revision 3080 now includes a script that can build the A2VM.zip with 2 mouse clicks and 5 minutes time (Build.VMWare.Tool).

Some comments on your previous posts:
- TraceModules=1 is a bit verbose. I would recommend you to not use it unless there is a specific reason for its use. The output says, what module the module loader will load next (>ModuleName), tried to load (?ModuleLoad) and tried to publish (make available to the system, execute module body, <ModuleName). Note that the output also appears in case of failure.
- To see the trace output in the log file, set TraceMode=4 and TracePort=1. This means that the trace output should be sent to serial port 1 (assuming that your VM logs the serial port output into a file as the new A2VM.zip does)
- Black screen: In your case, unset the configuration strings Boot2, Boot4 and Boot6. Most likely one of these commands trapped and therefore prevented a successful system startup

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: