Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 07, 2019, 07:04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you guys using A2/Oberon for all your computing needs?  (Read 4619 times)
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« on: June 24, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »

Time for honesty, boys and girls....

How many of you guys use A2/ Oberon for your daily chores -- email, web, word processing, music, etc?

Or is A2/Oberon more of a sandbox, a nice toy to hack Oberon code on?
--
duke
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:21:34 PM by dukester » Logged

duke
BohdanT

Life is difficult, but fortunately is short!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

Hi Duke!

What sense in this?
It seems to me that the only application A2 - industrial application...
That there really is A2 shows the force!

dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

@BohdanT

Sorry! I don't understand what you mean...
--
duke

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »

A2 isn't meant to be a desktop operating system. Of course, if we would have powerful applications it would be great, but we just don't have the man power (and interest) to implement office suites, web browsers, drivers, tools, ... that could compete with commercial products.
This restricts the application domain of A2 to applications, where you essentially need a working operating system and where you can live with limited hardware support.
We also use A2 in some lectures for teaching students interested in system software.
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »

Does your comments also include ETH Oberon?

So, I'm beginning to see Oberon more correctly, i.e.

Oberon is really more like Squeak is to the Smalltalk community. Except that with Oberon, there exists a version that takes over the entire machine - the "native" flavor - to create a dedicated Oberon language development environment.

OTOH, there exists versions of Oberon, that are "hosted" on top of various platforms, that give you the same Oberon language development environment. This would be most like Smalltalk Squeak.

Am I getting close?
--
Duke

duke
BohdanT

Life is difficult, but fortunately is short!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »

A2 isn't meant to be a desktop operating system. Of course, if we would have powerful applications it would be great, but we just don't have the man power (and interest) to implement office suites, web browsers, drivers, tools, ... that could compete with commercial products.
This restricts the application domain of A2 to applications, where you essentially need a working operating system and where you can live with limited hardware support.
We also use A2 in some lectures for teaching students interested in system software.
There is another area where A2 can be a good show:
How about of the ARM-version?? Zoomable interface would be good to yourself shows on smartphones  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: