Oberon Community Platform Forum
October 16, 2019, 03:46:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo! Sven - Thank you!!  (Read 5759 times)
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »

There is JOY in S. Alberta, Canada, in the Foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains!!!

Thanks for all your help in getting all those Operating System living together on one volume.

I got mad and deleted the extended partition containing the Linux FS and Linux swap. I also deleted the partition containing the AosFS.

I then _moved_ the BSD partition, so that it immediately followed the NTFS. With _all_ the unused space at the _end_ of the volume, I created a primary partition for Linux, and an extended partition which now contains Linux swap; FAT32; AosFS.

WORKS LIKE A FREAKING CHARM! Wink Thanks again Sven; everyone!

One final minor detail -- is there a way to edit what the Bluebottle Boot Manager displays. It is showing the BSD partition as "Linux". Other than that, it's all good!

BTW, I used the LiveCD Linux utitlity called "gparted" to do all the "moving", resizing, deleting and creating of partitions. No burps, hiccups, farts - nothing. Awesome software!

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »

Cool!  Cool

A2 Boot Manager:
The nice thing about this boot manager is that you don't have to configure it in any way. The downside is that you cannot configure it  Wink
There is not way (except hacking its source code) to change what it displays.
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

So the A2 Boot Manager has the FS names hard-coded in its source code? Or does it read the PBRs or something, to get the FS names?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »

Found BootManager.Asm:

linuxtxt:   db 'Linux   '; PBR with 8 x 0h at offset 3

Recognition of boot loader is hard-coded.
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

That's curious, because GRUB, gparted and others can distinguish between Linux and BSD file systems. A2 seems to be globing _all_ UFS into one, and calling it Linux.

I'll have to look at the BootManager.Asm source code. If I hack the code, do I have to re-compile it? Is there an assembler included with A2?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:31 AM »

If I hack the code, do I have to re-compile it? Is there an assembler included with A2?
You have to re-assemble it and re-install it. Yes, an assembler is included. You can open BootManager.Asm in PET and press on the "Assemble" button to assemble it.
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

Cool! If I screw it up, all I have to do is re-install from the LiveCD. This will be a good way to learn about A2 "under the hood/bonnet", somewhat. Thanks.

duke
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: