Oberon Community Platform Forum
October 16, 2019, 02:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Native Oberon  (Read 13238 times)
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« on: August 05, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »

I went to:

http://ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Native/Update/CD/

and DL  `OberonCD.Dsk'

I burned that dsk image to a CD. Tried to boot from this CD  => No joy! It tries to boot, but just returns to the A2 Boot Manager.
Any ideas?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »

I burned that dsk image to a CD. [...]
What software did you use for that job? Did you tell the software that you want to create a bootable CD-ROM using a floppy disk image?
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »

I first used non-commercial version of Nero. It was only afterward that I found out that this version does not support creating "bootable" CDs. ;(

Then I used `Brasero' on my Xubuntu box. I guess it has the same problem!

Anyway, I finally used 'rawrite' and a diskette. The install - Alpha version - went smooth. I even managed not to trash the A2 Boot Manager. Wink However, I screwed something in the "configuration" phase, because the boot process hangs with OBE_.

duke
masta

empamedia.ethz.ch

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »

AFAIK there is a first stage boot loader that tries to load the Oberon Kernel. If you see OBE, this comes from the first stage loader.

During the installation process on hard disk, you also have to load the Oberon Kernel in a Partition Boot Record. The last time I saw this behaviour, the first stage boot loader did not find anything at the place indicated. So either, I assume, you missed to load the Kernel at this Partition Boot Record or you did not configure the first stage boot loader to look at the place you loaded it. There is a detailed instruction for the hard disk case in Install.Tool - altough I have no idea how you could manage this with a CD-ROM... Maybe some fiddling round with Partition.Tool after a backup of your data?
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »

Hello Masta...

AFAIK there is a first stage boot loader that tries to load the Oberon Kernel. If you see OBE, this comes from the first stage loader.

During the installation process on hard disk, you also have to load the Oberon Kernel in a Partition Boot Record. The last time I saw this behavior, the first stage boot loader did not find anything at the place indicated. So either, I assume, you missed to load the Kernel at this Partition Boot Record or you did not configure the first stage boot loader to look at the place you loaded it. There is a detailed instruction for the hard disk case in Install.Tool - although I have no idea how you could manage this with a CD-ROM... Maybe some fiddling round with Partition.Tool after a backup of your data?

Update:

I finally managed to get NO booted from a diskette. So I'm assuming that when NO is up and working, it is actually operating from my IDE0#7 partition.

So what I have now is the A2 Boot Manager still functional (I like it very much!) and a NO in IDE0#7. During the NO install, I have MM many times on Partitions.UpdateBootFile ^ or something to that effect - affect selecting the correct partition with Partitions.Show ~. It doesn't seem to want to update! Do you also agree with others that this may be because my IDE0#7 _is not_ within the 1024 cylinders?

Do you think that loading the A2 Live CD and using Tools/Partitions and setting the IDE0#7 partition bootable would work? TIA...

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »

So I'm assuming that when NO is up and working, it is actually operating from my IDE0#7 partition.
Partitions.Show will indicate the partition where Oberon has been booted from with an asterix right in front of the partition type string, e.g.

Disk: IDE0, 1024MB, VMWare Virtual IDE Hard Driver
IDE0#00 1024 --- (Whole disk)
IDE0#01 1021  76 * Native Oberon

It doesn't seem to want to update!
So it displays an error message on System.Log? Also don't forget to specify the name of the boot loader file, e.g. Partitions.UpdateBootFile IDE0#7 OBL.Bin ~
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »

So I'm assuming that when NO is up and working, it is actually operating from my IDE0#7 partition.
Partitions.Show will indicate the partition where Oberon has been booted from with an asterix right in front of the partition type string, e.g.

OK! I'll check...

So it displays an error message on System.Log? Also don't forget to specify the name of the boot loader file, e.g. Partitions.UpdateBootFile IDE0#7 OBL.Bin ~

Doh! I used Partitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#7 OBL.Bin ~
                                                       ^^^^
and got an error message that was too log for the System.Log viewer. Apparently text is not automatically wrapped. Anyway, I didn't know how to "grow" the System.Log viewer. Some nice folks on the Oberon Mailing List  gave me a quick education! Wink

I'll try `Partitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#7 OBL.Bin ~' again and see what happens! Thanks...

duke
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »

Partitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#7 OBL.Bin ~

Didn't work! The command executed properly according to System.Log. But when I rebooted from the NO install, my A2 BootManager was _still there_, but when I selected the Oberon partition, all I still get is OBE_. Is it this 1024 cylinder issue?

Sidebar

I tried to boot from the A2 LiveCD - no probs; but there's no mouse cursor visible. The mouse works! I'm in Linux right now using it Wink Any ideas why this is happening?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

I still get is OBE_. Is it this 1024 cylinder issue?
I've just had a look at OBL.Asm that is contained in the latest Native Oberon alpha release and can now definitely say that you do have a 1024 cylinder issue  Cool
To resolve the issue, use a new version of OBL.Bin (as found on the A2 live CD-ROM or download at http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/OBL.Bin). This one supports LBA addressing (no 1024 cylinder limit anymore) and should also work with Native Oberon. You can use the Partitions.UpdateBootLoader command to install it.

I tried to boot from the A2 LiveCD - no probs; but there's no mouse cursor visible. The mouse works! I'm in Linux right now using it  Any ideas why this is happening?
Uhh... What kind of mouse are you using? PS/2 or USB?
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

I still get is OBE_. Is it this 1024 cylinder issue?
I've just had a look at OBL.Asm that is contained in the latest Native Oberon alpha release and can now definitely say that you do have a 1024 cylinder issue  Cool

Cool!

To resolve the issue, use a new version of OBL.Bin (as found on the A2 live CD-ROM or download at http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/OBL.Bin). This one supports LBA addressing (no 1024 cylinder limit anymore) and should also work with Native Oberon. You can use the Partitions.UpdateBootLoader command to install it.

extra cool!

So, will these steps do the job?

- DL A2 Obl.Bin into my FAT partition
- boot from NO install diskette
- mount FAT partition
- Partitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#7 FAT:/Obl.Bin ~
                                      ^^^^
or is it

- Partitions.UpdateBootFile IDE0#7 FAT:/OBL.Bin ~
                                      ^^

or is there a better way?

I tried to boot from the A2 LiveCD - no probs; but there's no mouse cursor visible. The mouse works! I'm in Linux right now using it  Any ideas why this is happening?
Uhh... What kind of mouse are you using? PS/2 or USB?

USB wireless mouse
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:03:48 PM by dukester » Logged

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

[...] or is there a better way?
No, using Partitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#7 FAT:/OBL.Bin ~ should work.

USB mouse:
a) Either the USB drivers are not loaded.
To find out, have a look at the configuration strings (hold down SHIFT when booting...). Each of the following commands would load the USB mouse driver correctly:
- PCITools.DetectHardware ~
- DriverDatabase.Enable; UsbUhci.Install; UsbOhci.Install; UsbHubDriver.Install
- UsbUhci.Install; UsbOhci.Install; UsbHubDriver.Install; UsbHidDriver.Install

b) A2 USB driver does not work correcty...
- Detach USB mouse physically, attach again and see what happens. There should be at least a message on the Kernel Log window

c) A2 USB driver does not work at all on your computer...
Well... let's hope this is not the case  Wink
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »

Cool!

USB mouse:
To find out, have a look at the configuration strings (hold down SHIFT when booting...). Each of the following commands would load the USB mouse driver correctly:

I should see these commands while booting? or do you want me to execute these commands?

- Detach USB mouse physically, attach again and see what happens. There should be at least a message on the Kernel Log window

OK!

It worked before! and this very same mouse  works with Linux, BSD and XP Wink Do you think that my messing around with the various VESA 2.0 modes in the NO Configuration.Tool could be the cause?

duke
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »

It didn't work ;( NO complained: command not found... but see next thread!

USB mouse:

I did and `trap' coughed up a red bloody mess Wink

I guess you were correct, because I switched the USB wireless for an old PS2, and that fixed the problem!

I have a USB hub "powered" by this same machine, but getting data input from a Dlink router which has a USB print server. The only appliance connected to this USB hub is an HP printer. The USB wireless mouse transmitter was connected to a spare USB outlet on the computer. Whatever....

duke
dharmatech

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

I'm getting an error when I try to go the address: "ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Native/Update/CD". Is the server down? Or has the software been moved to another location?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: