Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 07, 2019, 08:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Configuring Issues  (Read 6744 times)
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »

Now the _real_ fun starts  Cheesy

Does NO MUA(s) support IMAP?

The machine has a Realtek RTL-8139 NIC. The docs say that NO supports only "3com" NICs. Any undocumented drivers (like for my 8139) hiding out somewhere? How hard would it be for me to write one? End of summer project Wink

I have a Lexmark USB printer. Any chance of using it with NO?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

Realtek RTL-8139 NIC: Not supported by NO. You could port the A2 driver (RTL8139.Mod) to Oberon. This shouldn't be too hard.

Lexmark USB printer:
Currently USB printers don't work neither with NO nor A2.
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »

Realtek RTL-8139 NIC: Not supported by NO. You could port the A2 driver (RTL8139.Mod) to Oberon. This shouldn't be too hard.

That will be my first Oberon project! Wink

Lexmark USB printer:
Currently USB printers don't work neither with NO nor A2.

What would be involved in providing support for USB printers? Each Make and Model has its own drivers for various platforms. So maybe implement just a generic USB Postscript driver to begin with?

What about IMAP support in NO?

duke
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »

What would be involved in providing support for USB printers? Each Make and Model has its own drivers for various platforms. So maybe implement just a generic USB Postscript driver to begin with?

For printers, USB really just acts as transport layer, so from point of view of USB, bytes are sent to the printer. This transport layer is implemented in A2 (UsbPrinter.Mod) - it could easily be ported to Oberon since it does almost nothing...
The simplest printer would just receive raw data (image in some most likely vendor-specific format). The better ones come with a printer control language (PCL) and page description language (PDL) that is most often also vendor-specific. In Oberon, there is support for HP PCL if I understood correctly. The even more sophisticated ones can render postscript.

IMAP: I think it is not supported, but I'm not sure so hopefully a NO veteran provides an answer...
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »

I suppose that there is no way to make use of the Gutenprint drivers? CUPS or Footmatic would have to be ported to Oberon/Active Oberon?

BTW, do you know in what *.Src.zip file the A2 "mailclient" lives?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:45:13 PM by dukester » Logged

duke
dukester

On Faceflow I'm dukester

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »

I found the A2 IMAP modules!  Shocked

duke
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: