Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 10, 2019, 09:48:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A2 boot trouble  (Read 8241 times)
Fortrix
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:31:05 AM »

Hi,
I'm a newbie to Bluebottle and decided to try it out. I've downloaded the latest release image from the A2 download page and burned it onto the CD, and the OBL loader command line appears after booting. After pressing 'c' (continue) it just goes resetting the machine. I've tried different OBL config combinations and have noticed that when I force OBL to use single-processor mode (by specifying MaxProcs=-1) it doesn't reset the machine but just freezes - no access to any medium and the black screen. The same behavior is present when I boot from USB flash drive (dd'ed HDD image downloaded from the community page).

My laptop (MSI M670X) specifications:
CPU: AMD Sempron Mobile 3600+ stepping 2, 2GHz, 256 KB cache
RAM: 980 MB
Video: NVidia GeForce Go 6100
HDD: SCSI ATA WDC WD1200BEVS-2, 120 GiB
CD-ROM: Optiarc  DVD RW AD-7530B Revision NX02

If needed, i'll provide any other configuration details.
So, how to configure OBL in order to boot A2 correctly? Thanks in advance.
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »

Try to set these configuration strings:

MaxProcs=-1
ExtMemSize=512
ATADetect=legacy

If this doesn't help, try:

MaxProcs=-1
TraceMode=1
Init=

This enables screen tracing which could help to find out what fails...

Note: By setting a config string to no value (empty string), it is deleted
Fortrix
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »

Try to set these configuration strings:

MaxProcs=-1
ExtMemSize=512
ATADetect=legacy

If this doesn't help, try:

MaxProcs=-1
TraceMode=1
Init=

This enables screen tracing which could help to find out what fails...

Note: By setting a config string to no value (empty string), it is deleted
Thanx, after specifying ExtMemSize=768 and MaxProcs=-1 and enabling the trace mode I got that A2 continued booting but there appeared an unlimited loop of exceptions at the point I couldn't identify (when I took a look at the boot sequence I found out that some of the USB drivers failed, although I'm not 100% sure) and it ended resetting the machine too. When I remove all the USB drivers installation from the boot sequence the system just hangs after the font installation. Could anyone help me with this the trouble?
And I have one more question - if I have an A2 hard disk image byte-to-byte copy on a USB flash drive, what should be the BootVol1 config string in order to make it boot from the flash drive OBL was started from? OBL starts successfully, kernel loads successfully, ATA devices are detected successfully and then it hangs with the boot medium mount error. What should I specify in the BootVol1 in case I'm booting from the USB pendrive?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:39:22 PM by Fortrix » Logged
Fortrix
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »

So, after lots of playing with test miniCD and then full A2CD reconfiguration I actually got it working!
Config is:
BootVol1=RAM RamFS 8000 4096
BootVol2=CD AosFS #0;R
MaxProcs=-1
RamFS=RAMVolumes.New DiskFS.NewFS
AosFS=DiskVolumes.New DiskFS.NewFS
Boot1=Keyboard.Install;MousePS2.Install
Boot3=WindowManager.Install
Boot5=Autostart.Run
Boot=DisplayLinear.Install
Init=118
ExtMemSize=512
DWidth=1024
DHeight=0768
DDepth=0032

Nothing more, nothing less. Smiley
It seems that MaxProcs, Init, CacheSize, ATAPIForcePIO and ExtMemSize parameters are critical for my laptop. Some of them (CacheSize, ATAPIForcePIO) are to be omitted at all.
Two main things remain - network and USB. Now I don't care much about the network before I install the A2 onto the USB pendrive. But how to add USB support "on-the-fly"? It seems that UsbHubDriver.Install, UsbOhci.Install and UsbStorage.Install _do_ work correctly when executed from the console. The kernel log shows that drivers are initialized and that my USB mouse is detected but it doesn't work. What else do I need to load in the memory in order to get full USB support?
I've also noticed that DriverDatabase.Enable freezes the entire system at once and the computer can only be powered off. Could anyone explain this behavior?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:32:13 PM by Fortrix » Logged
staubesv
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »

What should I specify in the BootVol1 in case I'm booting from the USB pendrive?
BootVol1 = AOS AosFS USB0#1 assuming that A2 is installed on the first partition of the USB pendrive.

Notes:
- USB drive must be partitioned
- Booting from USB always means booting from device USB0
- You need a kernel image that comes with built-in USB drivers (USB.Bin)
- If there is more than one USB storage device connected at start up time (warning: internal card readers...), you will need to specify the serial number of the USB boot device using the config string "SerialNumber"

For full USB support, you need:

a) Host controller driver: UsbUhci.Install, UsbOhci.Install, UsbEhci.Install (high-speed!)
b) Hub Driver: UsbHubDriver.Install
c) Device Drivers: UsbHidDriver.Install (HID devices as mouse, keyboard, ...), UsbStorage.Install (mass storage devices), others...

PCITools.DetectHardware will do a, b and c. DriverDatabase.Enable will do c (USB device drivers loaded on demand).

I've also noticed that DriverDatabase.Enable freezes the entire system at once and the computer can only be powered off. Could anyone explain this behavior?

The command DriverDatabase.Enable itself is harmless. After execution, the USB system will automatically load and install device drivers for USB devices. Most likely, the attempt to install a USB device driver then causes the freeze.

Booting from USB:
The standard USB kernel image (USB.Bin) only contains the UsbEhci host controller driver. If your system doesn't have a EHCI host controller or this driver does not work correctly on your computer, you need a kernel image that contains UsbOhci and/or UsbUhci. This can be generated by executing the following command:

Linker.Link \PAOS: \.Obx USBSLOW.Bin 0100000H 1000H Kernel Traps
   UsbHubDriver UsbOhci UsbUhci UsbStorageBoot
   DiskVolumes DiskFS BootConsole ~

Note that linking all USB host controller drivers won't work because the boot image gets too large then.

Fortrix
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »

Thanks to all,
I've just installed A2 to my hard disk as the third OS (appending to my Arch and Ubuntu) on the seperate partition. Now I have USB autodetection working there but no sound or network drivers working. So, I'll look for the third party ones. Thanks to everybody once more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: