Oberon Community Platform Forum
November 20, 2019, 08:49:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Novel User Interface  (Read 4389 times)
staubesv
Administrator

« on: March 27, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »

A discussion on http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/forum/index.php/topic,39.0.html led to the interesting question of how to build a novel user interface. Everybody is welcome to suggest, comment, ...
alys

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:56:06 PM »

hm.
I like the idea of sticking some visible objects to another. This means the relation of subordination.
For example - minimised windows as icons are sticked to some movable holders, instead of "sticking" in taskbar(Windows).
imho, this idea is good for multi-window application, where windows could be sticked together.
main menu (at left bottom of the screen) could be also glued from different submenus.
So the sticking method can serve as a composition method of the GUI. And should be implemented as special module of GUI.
Also, I like icons(glued in groups also) on the desktop for fast applications start.

also now is popular the idea of control via some graphity. User draws a hieroglyph via mouse and system reacts. For example - let two windows are near. User draws a closed curve(like oval), which intersect nearest borders of this windows, and windows go to be sticked. To unstick windows user should draw a "cutting line" between this windows. Evidently this feature demands some symbol recognition module, and is a bit complicate. Hmm. I think a simple neural net, like CMAC can serve. You should put the glyph onto net and get response. But net must be trained. Smiley
soren renner
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:25:43 PM »

Mouse gestures in UI. I like that idea. How about a hyperbolic desktop, so that no window is ever offscreen but there is an infinite amount of space?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: