Oberon Community Platform Forum
November 22, 2019, 06:58:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oberon and FORTH  (Read 3350 times)
greim

« on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »

I am just playing around a little bit with FORTH.
My question:
Was there a paper or simple study to use Forth as a kind of bytecode machine or better said intermediate assembler?

Regards

Markus Greim
Wlad

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

... to use Forth as a kind of bytecode machine or better said intermediate assembler?
What for? Trying to reinvent a wheel? Smiley
It is not worth to use it as a "independent" programming language for development of systems, neither intermediate assembler.
FORTH IS NOT an INTERMEDIATE ASSEMBLER.
It will be better to think about it as the kind of scripting languages with a "specific" features and syntax.

The examples and exercises from Broudey's books are very interesting... But I think you can not find an application for it in modern programming world.

The features of FORTH to remove "intermediate levels" in objects building and to express through CREATE DOES> entities of domain ARE very interesting. But the same features ARE the main reasons why FORTH did not become popular language. Why? Because may be the knowledge of syntax and semantic rules of certain language are burden for novice programmers in "classical" OOP languages, but these rules help very much to establish "understanding bridges" between brains of programmers. Smiley Same notation, same rules, same semantics. In the case of FORTH you have to understand the "object definition and creation" notation in EVERY project. There is a joke that quantity of OOP implementations in FORTH is more then quantity of forthers. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: