Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 13, 2019, 03:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting a home filesystem brought from ETHNO.  (Read 8864 times)
peasthope

« on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

In http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Configuration#toc22 we read
"File Systems
Example: The command FSTools.Mount  ... by calling DiskFS.NewFS with the just create Volume object as parameter. "

The sentence is somewhat garbled.  I read "with the Volume object just created" but will leave correction to the author.

So my home file system from ETHNO on a CF card might be mounted with this, assuming IDE device and partition numbers are correct.

FSTools.Mount HOME NatFS IDE2#1 ~

Appears OK?  Thanks,            ... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »

Hi Peter,

although I am not really shure, but most probably you should be able to use

VirtualDisks.Install NO "/dev/partition" ~

to access your files in a native oberon partition as NO:*

BTW: The ISO images are created under WinAos by creating a virtual disk
and converting that to ISO format ...

regards
   Bernhard
peasthope

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »

Bernhard,

VirtualDisks.Install NO "/dev/partition" ~

The USB stick here was already VFAT.  I assumed you intended to include the file system type and found this.

VirtualDisks.Install C FatFS "/dev/sdb" ~

FatFS not found

I see VirtualDisks.Obj in the file listing but don't see a VirtualDisks.Tool or a VirtualDisks.Text.  http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Development/Tools
has the cryptic "The module VirtualDisks.Mod implements a virtual disk device."

Can anyone suggest or tell how to use VirtualDisks.

Thanks,                   ... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »

Peter

VirtualDisks.Install C FatFS "/dev/sdb" ~

FatFS not found

I quickly installed LinuxAos on my TinyCore (http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html) rescue stick.

Virtualdisk.Install VD "/dev/sdb" ~

works and tells me

Disk VD registered

but

FSTools.Mount NO FatFS VD ~[/tt]

results in

FATVolumes Device VD error 2505

and I don't have any idea what that error could mean. But I have already booted from that stick, so the Linux mount and the Aos mount might be conflicting but it happens also on a different stick :-(

If I search through the source of FATVolumes, I don't find any hint on erro 2505 ... so I guess it is propagated from VirtualDisks, but I am not sure ...

I see VirtualDisks.Obj in the file listing but don't see a VirtualDisks.Tool or a VirtualDisks.Text.  
there is a short Usage section in the beginning of VirtualDisks.Mod and some examples
after END VirtualDisks .

Ooops: LinuxAos does not deliver the sources (what a pity). That means you are in a dead end if you don't get access to the subversion repository. So I reverted my SVN copy to 4593 (on which Rel. 1.4 is based at least according to the Changelog).
and have put it there: SourceRev4593.zip and UnixAos.zip for download via ftp.

If you put these files in your working directory, you can do a

FSTools.Mount SRC ZipFS SourceRev4593.zip

and accordingly for UnixAos.zip. Now you should have access to all files of the UnixAos distribution.

At least, it worked for me by typing these commands in the log viewer and middle clicking ...

As far as I know, you mastered the steep learning curve of NO some years ago :-)

regards
   Bernhard
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:38:57 PM by Bernhard T. » Logged
peasthope

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

Bernhard,

... there: SourceRev4593.zip and UnixAos.zip

and accordingly for UnixAos.zip you should have access to all files of the UnixAos distribution.

Right oh, thanks.  I will look.

My immediate objective is to find a practical transition from ETHNO to UnixAos.  A necessary part of this problem is the subproblem of moving data files from one system to the other.  In ETHNO my data is in an AosFS on a CF card.  The first possibility to consider is whether this AosFS can be mounted in UnixAos.  With present understanding of  Virtualdisk I'll say that can not help.  Appears that a file system must be mounted in the Linux system before LinuxAos can access it.  But I've never heard of AosFS being implemented in Linux.  So if I am correct, I have one red herring.  With excellent luck, I am wrong!

Of course I can put the whole set of files in a zip or gzip file and move that from ETHNO to UnixAos with FTP and unpack;  but this is not a trivial process to be repeated several times per week during a transitional period of months.  A second red herring.

A third approach is to move the files in my AosFS into a FatFS or ISOFS on a second CF card.  Then the FS can be automatically mounted at startup of either system.  Never tried this and don't know how well it will work.  Third red herring?

As far as I know, you mastered the steep learning curve of NO some years ago :-)

Yes, in DOS Oberon.  Didn't strike me as too steep and the TUI remains my preference.  Thanks for your patient explanations and discussion,

... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »

Peter,

Thanks for your patient explanations and discussion,

you're welcome, I'm learning myself a lot ...

Of course I can put the whole set of files in a zip or gzip file and move that from ETHNO to UnixAos with FTP and unpack;  but this is not a trivial process to be repeated several times per week during a transitional period of months.

with ZipFS it shouldn't be that difficult.

Just take a thorough look at Build.Tool (which should be contained in SourceRev4593.zip).

... and the TUI remains my preference

It is still there, you can type any command anywhere in a text window (e.g. the log viewer) and execute it with a middle click ...

Bernhard
peasthope

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »

Bernhard,

From February 23, 2012, 09:09:40 AM,

OK, I understand.  Still the zip archive would have to opened each time it is moved back into NO and the files would have to be zipped each time they are moved out of NO to Aos or UnixAos.  According to my understanding, FAT is still the only file system which can be mounted directly by NO, Aos and UnixAos.

Furthermore, for flash storage, we should really be using a flash-specific file system such as UBIFS.  A new file system for A2 is possible; for NO is unlikely.

Regards,                ... Peter E.
peasthope

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »

Furthermore, for flash storage, we should really be using a flash-specific file system such as UBIFS.

According to the last paragraph in the introduction of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2, ext2 or ext4 in journal-less mode, are reasonable choices.  Forget about UBIFS and other media specific systems for now.

Regards,               ... Peter E.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: