Oberon Community Platform Forum
October 13, 2019, 08:48:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selecting different Oberon OS distributions.  (Read 5553 times)
sinu.nayak2001

« on: December 05, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

Dear All,

I found that there are many different Oberon systems available.
ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/
But no where there is a clear document saying what is what and where it came from.

Example:
1. There is something called ETH Oberon.
2. There is something called Native Oberon.
3. There is something called System 3 Oberon.

Again, among Native Oberon there are some Oberon for Linux, Unix etc.
Same for ETH Oberon.

For confusion, see the directory structure in this link. "http://ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/Oberon/ETHOberon/Native/LinuxBased/"

As a whole, I get confused when I browse these directories.

I think, if any senior member make it clear, what is what then that will help all the members to know find what is where and where is the binary and source code of these distributions.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

Dear Srinivas,

I found that there are many different Oberon systems available.
[...]
But no where there is a clear document saying what is what and where it came from.

hmm, you are asking a very good question.

An answer might be here: Oberon System Genealogy

A slightly outdated one there: System Genealogy

and yet another one (which should be uptdated) is given by Wikipedia: Oberon Operating System, Sec. Versions & availability

As a whole, I get confused when I browse these directories.

I can understand that. My personal understanding of the different versions is:

V1 is the the system as documented by the book Wirth & Gutknecht: Project Oberon Wirth & Gutknecht: Project Oberon
V2 is an obsolete system which still floats on some servers in the web (like the DOS and OS/2 versions)
V3 does not exist (but System 3, which was later renamed to ETH Oberon)
V4 is the version, which was ported to many different systems.

System 3 started as an experimental system featuring intrinsic support for persistent objects with an extended Kernel.

V4 was concurrently developed to demonstrate that it is not absolutely necessary to change the kernel to yield similar results. V4 was later (when HP Mössenböck moved to Linz) also dubbed Linz Oberon.

I would call V4 now more an IDE (integrated development environment), but it was often called an OS on top of another OS.

Native was meant to differenciate between running natively on bare hardware as opposed to running on top of a different operating system. I don't know if any native V4 existed (except on Ceres Hardware) ...

All of these are more or less unsupported/obsolete right now, the only which is actively developed, is A2 (see Felix' post on the NO-mailing list).

Some more remarks may be found in the "Ten Years After" appendix of the PDF version of Project Oberon starting on page 434.

To make the picture even more confusing, there is also (see ETHOS), but ETHOS' source was never published directly (although BlackBox is rumored to be heavily influenced by ETHOS). Here you have to know that Oberon/F was renamed to BlackBox Component Builder in the middle of the 1990ies ...

Hope this helps a little bit ...
--
  Bernhard
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:25:26 PM by Bernhard T. » Logged
sinu.nayak2001

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »

Dear Bernhard,

I am very happy to see you again.
Now I understood about Oberon family.

As you said, V4 was primarily designed to be ported easily. That is why we see a lot of ports of it. :-)

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »

As you said, V4 was primarily designed to be ported easily.

as far as I know, portability was not a primary design goal.

I noted only that V4 was ported to many systems.
--
  Bernhard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: