Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 12, 2019, 09:30:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: File systems in LinuxAos  (Read 13462 times)
peasthope

« on: February 08, 2012, 01:04:03 AM »

Hi,

This screen is LinuxAos on Debian Squeeze.  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/LinuxAos.jpg
In the lower left corner, a CF card with two ETHNO parts and one DOS part is plugged in an
adapter connected by USB.

Resolution is very poor but it illustrates that Files => Partitions shows no parts.  Am I missing
something obvious?  Is this a consequence of incorrect configuration?  Is there a bug?

Thanks,                    ... Peter E.

Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

Hi Peter,

This screen is LinuxAos on Debian Squeeze.  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/LinuxAos.jpg
[...]
Resolution is very poor but it illustrates that Files => Partitions shows no parts.  Am I missing
something obvious?  Is this a consequence of incorrect configuration?  Is there a bug?

since I never used LinuxAos until today, I don't know if this is correct, but I guess that
you don't have access to the raw device (except in "native A2").

Is LinuxAos expected to give you acces to the raw partitions of the underlying devices?

I doubt, and "Partition Tool" looks very similar under WinAos. I get almost the same result (as far as I can see, please compare attached screenshot).

But that should be approved by some good soul of ETH (or Günter) ...

regards
   Bernhard

* PartitionTool.png (7.49 KB, 900x555 - viewed 848 times.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:32:28 AM by Bernhard T. » Logged
peasthope

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

Bernard and others,

I get almost the same result (as far as I can see, please compare attached screenshot).

Yes, the viewers in the two systems match.

I'm thinking of possible transitions from ETHNO workstations to A2 workstations.
If my ETHNO file system can be mounted in the A2 system, the transition will
be relatively simple.  When baffled by a task in A2 I can temporarily return to
ETHNO without difficulty.  If the ETHNO file system can not be mounted, transfer of
data to the new file system will be a significant task; once completed, a temporary
reversion to ETHNO is possible but not convenient.

To summarize, I need to know what file systems are available in LinuxAos before
a transition to A2 is readily imagined.

Thanks for your response,                ... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »

To summarize, I need to know what file systems are available in LinuxAos before
a transition to A2 is readily imagined.

I cannot answer this question since I don't have experience with LinAos up to now.

But I'd like to know, why you want to move from ETHNO (I interprete this as
Native Oberon in one of the last versions for bare Intel hardware) to LinAos
and not to native A2?

AFAIK, native A2 can mount older Oberon filesystems (see also p. 42 of André Fischers
guide http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Front?action=download&upname=A2Documentation.pdf).

regards
    Bernhard
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:01:08 PM by Bernhard T. » Logged
peasthope

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »

... ETHNO (I interprete this as Native Oberon in one of the last versions for bare Intel hardware)

Correct.  ETH Native Oberon, Alpha release for the bare PC.

But I'd like to know, why you want to move from ETHNO ... to LinAos and not to native A2?
At least three reasons.
  • I have an OLPC XO-1.5 which is conveniently portable and has good wireless connectivity.  LinuxAos works.  To the best of my understanding, native A2 doesn't support wireless.  Wireless would allow for example, Web browsing and retrieval of email by IMAP when away from home and workplace.  Also, LinuxAos allows switching between the two systems by merely refocusing in the desktop environment.  With A2 is installed natively, switching systems is a reboot.
  • I have Linux systems where LinuxAos would allow me to learn A2 before converting the ETHNO workstations to native A2.
  • The LinuxAos case should be helpful during development of modules needed for Aos to work on the bare hardware.

Regards,              ... Peter E.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:53:10 PM by peasthope » Logged
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »

hmm, it sounds reasonable to have LinuxAos just as a kind of hardware abstraction layer between A2 and the hardware. But I don't have any idea how it could be possible to reach through that layer to the hardware.

I think/guess that it should be possible since Linux allows you to access the device(s) as files in /dev and A2 allows you to mount files (e.g. zip archives) as file systems. But I don't know how. A related question, which I posted more than a year ago (http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/forum/index.php/topic,454.msg1907.html#msg1907) never got an answer.

regards
   Bernhard
peasthope

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »

Bernhard,

Linux allows you to access the device(s) as files in /dev and A2 allows you to mount files (e.g. zip archives)

In the introduction of UnixAosNotes.pdf Günter wrote,
'... UnixAos has no explicit support for hardware interfaces like RS 232 or USB.
They aren't really needed as all devices are accessible through the Unix filesystem.
To access the serial line interface just open it as an old file:
      f := Files.Old( “/dev/ttyS1” )'

and in UnixAos => Docu => UnixAos Diffs Günter wrote,
"The system configuration parameters are passed through the environment variable AOSCONFIG to UnixAos".

So I suppose that something to mount /dev/disk/by-label/MyUSBstore, for example, should be appended to AOSCONFIG.  The specific syntax doesn't come to mind.  I see that AOSCONFIG is instantiated in /usr/bin/aos but this in a system terminal tells me the variable is empty or nonexistent.

peter@dalton:~/Desktop/LinuxAos$ echo $AOSCONFIG

A related question, which I posted more than a year ago (http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/forum/index.php/topic,454.msg1907.html#msg1907) never got an answer.

/dev/loopN might be mounted similarly.

So you might benefit from UnixAos as much as I do.   Any further tips are welcome.

Thanks,                             ... Peter E.

peasthope

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »

Bernhard, Incidentally, how did you capture the screen or viewer illustrated in Reply #1.  Thanks,  ... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »

how did you capture the screen or viewer illustrated in Reply #1.  

oops, I don't remember, but since I say in that post that it looks similar in WinAos, it must have been Windows ...

You can take screenshots in Windows, LinuxAos or BlueBottle/A2:

In Windows XP it would be Alt- or Ctrl-PrintScreen and then insert it in any program for simple image processing ...

In Native BlueBottle/A2 it is WMScreenShot (see p. 47 of André Fischers User Guide)

In LinuxAos (under TinyCore 4.1) Right-Click on the desktop, select SystemTools->ScreenShot
                or alternatively use /usr/bin/screenshot.sh in a terminal.
                Both in turn fall back to /usr/bin/imlib2_grab
--
  Bernhard
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:17:19 PM by Bernhard T. » Logged
peasthope

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »

In LinuxAos (under TinyCore 4.1) Right-Click on the desktop, select SystemTools->ScreenShot

You've lost me.  LinuxAos on Fedora has System-> {Configuration, Log, ... SaveDesktop, Reboot, Shutdown}.  Where is ScreenShot?

Thanks,                           ... Peter E.
Bernhard T.
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »

Hi Peter,

I made the screenshot with the help of the underlying operating system (as far as I remember, that screenshot was taken with MS-Windows Ctrl-Print Screen (or Alt-PrintScreen).

But you should be able to do screenshots also with Fedora, maybe this one might help: http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2008/12/30/howto-take-screenshots-in-linux-console-and-x-window-system/

Bernhard
peasthope

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »

2012-03-04 Bernhard T. wrote,
I made the screenshot with the help of the underlying operating system

On the OLPC XO, in the Fedora system, Gnome environment, terminal, "yum install screenshot".  Then I see Applications > Accessories > Screenshot.  Also available in Debian.

Thanks for the feedback,    ... Peter E.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: