Oberon Community Platform Forum
November 19, 2019, 06:45:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting with DarwinAOS (UnixAOS for OSX) -- questions  (Read 3011 times)
jhbadger

« on: April 25, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

Hello. I'm just getting started with DarwinAOS (latest version), and have some basic questions about the system. I have a copy of the 20-year old book "Project Oberon", plus the A2 documentation pdf, but I can't really find the answers to these there or on this forum.

1) How do I get networking started? By default, the network is not started when I type aos and am launched into the system. The tutorial lists some drivers for network cards, but middle clicking them shows that they aren't in the system, and besides, I doubt that DarwinAOS would really talk to the network hardware of the Mac directly but would probably use some virtual driver as in Virtualbox, no?

2) In my first attempts to write a module in Oberon using PET, I noticed that my changes weren't being incorporated in the loaded version of the module after recompiling, and managed to get the module updated by using SystemTools.Free to unload it and then recompiling to get a current version loaded. Is this really expected? Shouldn't a compile update the loaded version of the module automatically?

3) Has anyone gotten the meta key (presumably the Command key on the Mac) to work in DarwinAOS? I see that somebody else had the same question earlier, but I don't think the question was really resolved.

Thanks,
Jonathan
cfbsoftware

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »

I noticed that my changes weren't being incorporated in the loaded version of the module after recompiling, and managed to get the module updated by using SystemTools.Free to unload it and then recompiling to get a current version loaded. Is this really expected?
Yes. Read Section 6.3 'The Linking Loader' in the Project Oberon book (particularly the last section 'Unloading modules') to understand why it was designed to work this way.

Chris Burrows
Astrobe v7.0 (Feb 2019): Oberon for ARM Cortex-M3, M4 and M7 Microcontrollers
http://www.astrobe.com
fld

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »

1) How do I get networking started? By default, the network is not started when I type aos and am launched into the system. The tutorial lists some drivers for network cards, but middle clicking them shows that they aren't in the system, and besides, I doubt that DarwinAOS would really talk to the network hardware of the Mac directly but would probably use some virtual driver as in Virtualbox, no?

DarwinAos uses the network of the host system (Darwin). There is no need to start Aos networking
stuff or do configuring the network. After booting DarwinAos the network is immediately useable.

The connection between Aos and Darwin is the module Unix.Sockets.Mod. See also Unix,UDP.Mod,
Unix.TCP.Mod and Unix.DNS.Mod.

-- G√ľnter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: