Oberon Community Platform Forum
December 13, 2019, 04:17:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arguments for aos.linux  (Read 4048 times)
peasthope

« on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:29 AM »

This is the last line in aos.linux.
exec $home/aos.linux "$@"
What arguments are meant to be passed via $@?
Can a configuration file with a name other than Configuration.XML be specified?

Thanks,                    ... Peter E.
leledumbo

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »

What arguments are meant to be passed via $@?
http://linux.about.com/od/Bash_Scripting_Solutions/a/How-To-Pass-Arguments-To-A-Bash-Script.htm
peasthope

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »

OK, thanks.  I have some understanding of how arguments are passed in *nix shells.

I'm interested in the synopsis for aos.linux.  An earlier topic mentioned a -x argument.  Is there an argument to name the configuration file, which defaults to "Configuration.XML"?  The intention is to start UnixAos with a configuration file with a name other than "Configuration.XML". 

Another means to achieve this could be to make Configuration.XML a link to my other configuration file. 

If someone has a better idea, please reply.

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

peasthope

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »

The intention is to start UnixAos with a configuration file with a name other than "Configuration.XML".

This name is a CONST in Configuration.Mod, in A2 and not specific to AosUnix.

Another means to achieve this could be to make Configuration.XML a link to my other configuration file.

Rather than tangle with a link I put a cp command in a shell function.  A configuration identified by hostname is copied to Configuration.XML before starting AosUnix.

In case anyone is interested, the shell function is listed in http://carnot.yi.org/ComputerSystems.html#OLPC .  Scroll down to my usage notes.

Regards,              ... Peter E.
peasthope

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »

In case anyone is interested, the shell function is listed in http://carnot.yi.org/ComputerSystems.html#OLPC .  Scroll down to my usage notes.

Subsequently I've expanded the function to a script which does a few things before invoking Guenter's /usr/bin/aos.  I keep working data on a flash card and have found the filesystem damaged occasionally.  The script runs fsck before mounting.  It adds a second or two to startup but that is better than mounting a bad filesystem.

The script is used on three machines with various display sizes.  A Configuration.XML and an Oberon.Text, customized to the machine, are installed before UnixAos is started.

Advice or criticism is always welcome,               ... Peter E.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: